Monday, February 21, 2011

Today's little thing - DG in the kitchen.

I was not well this morning and after staggering off to the school run, my son and I sat down in the Lounge, me with my cuppa nd him with his special juice and I asked him
"What would you like to do today DG?
The reply surprised me.
I was expecting 'park' or 'car'... He loves driving around aimlessly. He's one seriously awesome kid. He also has moderate to severe hearing loss, depending on the day, hence the one word answers.

DG instead said "bake a cake." He even told me what type of cake. It was cool.

I spent most of the day feeling like death warmed up, but in the afternoon, we baked a blueberry cake together. It was awesome. I've spent considerable time teaching my eldest about baking techniques and flavour balancing recipes (sweet/sour/salty/spicy etc) but it had yet to occur to me to be teaching 3 year old DG this too. Ofcourse he bakes, he's a great helper fetching things he can reach and blending flours for me. But from now on, when adjusting the flavours in a sauce or risotto, DG will also be included in the conversation. Unlike his big sister, who wasn't interested unless it was cupcakes and there were sprinkles involved, DG seems a bit more involved in the whole process.

Who knows, maybe he's the next Heston Blumenthal?

No comments:

Post a Comment