Wednesday, May 4, 2011

philosophy of geek: Relationship Watch - Love is a verb

philosophy of geek: Relationship Watch - Love is a verb: "Do I believe my cousin still loves her husband?  Absolutely.  But I don't think she is "in love" with him, in that all consuming, no-longer-have-a-choice way that we feel when first we fall for someone.  At some point, love becomes a choice. "
 
When reading GRC's above post about  What makes relationships last I thought two things. First up, this.



Secondly, THAT'S US!!
For reasons that are not your business, my partner as never fallen in love with me.  He loves me yes.
But did he fall for me? No.
For my beloved, he's always chosen to love me. He decided that he wanted to be a family together. This makes me wonder, am I actually fortunate that he never 'fell' for me? While I miss sometimes that we didn't go through that amazing experienceof falling in love, I'll never have to worry that the gloss will wear off and he might fall out of love with me.

GRC also said:
You see your partner as a whole person, with all of their own nuance, flaws and graces. 
This was us when we began our relationship. We knew the whole person before us - We've known each other our whole lives, and we know each other inside out (though there are and have been definitely a few surprises!) it's just how it's always been.
There have been a few of those moments recently, (he's been absent in body and in mind a lot due to work) when I longed for a nice 'in love' memory to get me through the harder days, but thankyou GRC for the reality check.
I am loved and I love. In an active, verb sense of the word.

I miss you babe, hurry home. xo

1 comment: